Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Time to Revive

It's about time I updated this old thing, yes?

That might be code for "I'll do anything other than write my dissertation proposal."

Regardless, here I am with an update and the intention of keeping this up for a while.

Looks like I left off in July after DWD-Devil's Lake. Since then:

July: As I said in my last post, I was really pleased with the way the race went and thought it had been great to have that goal in the middle of the summer to keep me going. After the race, my longest run for the rest of the month was 6 miles. My running buddies were in training mode for an October half and just getting started, so I dropped my long run distance back down and ran with them. I swear, every long race I run I say I'm not going to lose that base...and then I do. Anyway - I also continued the speedwork I had been doing all summer. Outside of running, July was when I really got serious about studying for comprehensive exams...and daily runs got shorter as I started feeling that time crunch. Total: 62 miles

August: With studying in full swing and the semester approaching quickly, I basically head steady in terms of running. Our long runs were increasing in distance and I kept on going with the speedwork I'd been doing. It was HOT. Total: 70 miles

September: School started with a bang. I took comps in the last 2 week of August and orals the second week of September. The semester started on 9/1 and I was slammed, teaching 2 classes, taking one, and trying to keep up with research. My schedule blew - in class (statistics, no less) until 10 PM on Monday evenings, and then teaching until 7 on both Tuesday and Wednesday. Running on Monday was out, I often didn't make it on Wednesday either...and eventually Tuesday. I was tired and grumpy most of the month. Total: 56 miles

October: At this point, I was just trying to hang onto at least a little of the fitness I had over the summer. My tired grumpiness continued (you could even say it got worse...). There were a couple weeks in there when I only ran on the weekend. My fall goal race - the Great Turtle Half Marathon, was at the end of the month. I'll post the report later, but basically I only met my last-ditch goal - to run under a 10 min pace. That's a tough race, even hillier than I expected, and I'm really quite happy with my effort. I managed a 9:51 pace for a final tme of 2:08:58. Total: 55 miles

November: Ha. At this point there's nothing left to do but laugh. Without a goal my motivation just flew the coop entirely. Total: 42 miles

December: The first couple weeks were rough, tying up loose ends on the semester, writing and grading finals, and dealing with disappointed students. I was started to get my motivation back, though, and by the end of the month was back to actually enjoying running and wanting to get out there. A little snow probably helped - I do love snowy running. Total: 64 miles

So, I finished out the year with 753 miles. The goal I set at the beginning of the year was to run 750 and I'm pleased to have met that. It was a big year and I can't overlook the one year anniversary of my diagnosis (April), surgery (May), and last treatment (October 23rd - same day as the Great Turtle). I'm still trying to work through what this all means for me now and to balance my personal life with my professional (school) life in a way that is fulfilling to me. I didn't do a good job with that this fall, so my goal for 2011 is to figure out where everything fits and do what I have to do to keep myself happy. Exactly what that is, I'm not sure...but I know that running will be a big part of it.

Still to come in 2011:

Greater Lansing Race for the Cure (April) - I have a title to defend, after all...
Bayshore Half Marathon (May) - with my girls. It'll be my first trip to that area and hopefully, I'll finally get under 2 hours.
Dances with Dirt Devil's Lake (Wisconsin, July) - this is just a fun race and I hope to get to do it again!
Chicago Marathon - my first. Heaven help me.
And let's not forget...my dissertation

Thanks for reading! I'll leave you with pictures...


No comments: