Saturday, January 14, 2006

My inexperience with trails is showing through....

My original training plan has my long runs slated for Saturdays. The line-up is going to be changed, but that's not really the point of this post. The last two Saturdays I have gone to Umstead Park in Raleigh for my LSD (long slow distance). Last weekend I was running along, 4 miles into my run (and half a mile from the car) when my foot met a tree root and my body met the trail. It hurt, and it bruised my body and ego a bit, but nothing major happened.

A week later, my scrapes and bruises healing nicely, I headed out today for my second LSD. This one was supposed to be 4 miles - not very long, but I can assure you, it was slow. Doug went along with me today, partly because he had the afternoon off, and a little because I was afraid I would hurt myself. Maybe he shouldn't go with me....
A mile into the run I was feeling great and felt like I could go on all day. I walk across the bridges in the park because the steps are steep and I'm just not a fan of running across them. Ten feet from the brige, I put my foot down unevenly on a root, twisted my ankle, heard four pops, and wound up on the ground. I also think I may have pulled a groin because I felt something pop in that region as I tried to hold my balance, but no pain there at the moment.

Looks like I'm down and out for a few days...

No comments: