Thursday, August 21, 2008

Mesmerizing

You know that sound the dryer (is it drier?) makes when you put a pair of sneakers in there? SlideThumpSlideThumpSlideThump. Our water heater makes a sound very similar to that. The refrigerator makes a thumping sound..or a dripping sound - Dad thought it sounded like dripping. Apparently maintenance is concerned about neither of these sounds.


Orientation is over - that's right, I survived. Did I learn much? We'll have to wait and see. Of course, by "wait and see", I mean for an entire year, because I'm not teaching until a year from now. Regardless, I survived the week. Tomorrow I have an actual lab meeting, so I'm hoping to get some idea of what I'll actually be doing for the next year. I'm ready to go, I don't want to waste a year when I don't have teaching responsibilities, I want to get a lot done.

As far as running goes, I don't have a lot to say - namely because I haven't run since Saturday's race. I've been feeling bad about it, but I'm officially letting myself off the hook. I feel lousy, quite frankly. I'm tired from sitting in seminars all day and from staying up to ungodly hours watching the Olympics. Apparently allergy season in MI is very different than allergy season in NC, and my throat hurts and sinuses are all stuffy. And, eating crap and drinking more caffeine in the past four days than I have in the past four months is playing mean tricks on my stomach and probably blood pressure.

Yesterday, though, I bought a new bike for commuting to school - yay! I really think I'm going to need it to get between two specific classes, and also the walk to campus is almost twice as long as I thought it was (oops) and therefore takes nearly twice as long as I thought it would. I'm thrilled about the bike, though. My first single speed since that cute little blue Panasonic. Bet you didn't know Panasonic did bikes...

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Ugh, sorry you are having more allergies here in Michigan. I never thought about that fact! Enjoy your new bike! :)